An Egyptian living in Europe but her heart stayed back home. Having some random thoughts about the before and after pictures. Ghawayesh means bracelets. In my context it symbolizes the cuffs of my culture. I don't know if I like them or hate them. Thanks for passing by.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in 2006 as a joke. Now that I look back, I have decided to take it seriously!

01 November 2006

Blast From The Past.. Darkies Don't Qualify




(I removed the previous picture because I suddenly realized that the painting was incredibly ugly!)

It was 1978 when presidents Sadat & Carter were meeting in Cairo for their peace talks. I was then a small kid, but my parents have been telling me about politics. I was so in love with Sadat because he was bringing peace to the world. He was my hero that I would have loved to meet. A representative of the presidential office came to our school to ask if they could get a boy & a girl to be flower bearers & would present them to the two presidents. They chose me because I was the best of the school, spoke fluent English and knew a lot for my age. I put my mother through hell to get me a little white dress for the occasion. I couldn't sleep the night before I was scheduled to go. The next day I went to school with my white dress on, went to the principal's room, and just as I was at the door, I saw a blond girl with a white dress on, standing there with a self-assured smile, and I overheard two teachers talking to each other: "We'll take her, she's so beautiful, much nicer looking than the other dark girl"....

No comments:

Blog Archive

Look Who's Here :D