An Egyptian living in Europe but her heart stayed back home. Having some random thoughts about the before and after pictures. Ghawayesh means bracelets. In my context it symbolizes the cuffs of my culture. I don't know if I like them or hate them. Thanks for passing by.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in 2006 as a joke. Now that I look back, I have decided to take it seriously!

01 July 2007

The Phone Book


What's with the Egyptians and phone manners? People call you at any time- day or night-and expect you to be ready to talk for hours over nothing! And nowadays they give you "a ring" on your mobile so you would call back, considering that you're the rich one who can afford it (!); use the phone to bug the hell out of girls (but hopefully the Internet addiction made this one less severe); and use the mobile phone cameras for all kind of indecent purposes, etc..

Why are we so evil??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And why do people sound so rude on the phone?

I could simply kill someone with my bare hands who keeps saying: "Aiwa Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen?"

This is an average conversation with an average dumbass:

Phone rings, pick up:

- "Aluuuuuu, aluuu, aluuu, aluuu, aluuu, AaaaaaalU!!"

(of course you're trying to talk but you can never be heard amidst the chaos of Aluus!)

- "Yes this is (I say my name), is this so and so's house?"

- "Aiwa meen.. Aluuu!!"

- (As I said before!): "This is Fulana 'l-Ful.."

- "EAH?" (Whaaa?)

- "This is Ful.."

- "Aaaalu!"

- "AHllo!" *sigh and* "May I please talk to Mr. So and So?"

- "Aiwa, a2olloo meen?" (Yes, who can I tell him it is?)

- "This is FULANA EL-*Friggin'* Fulani".

- "Aiwa meen 7adretek ya3ny?" (Yes but who are you anyway?)

*Totally pissed off*- "I AM DOQTOOOORAH Fulana 'l-Fulani , GIVE ME SO AND SO RIGHT NOW!"

*Totally humble mumble*- "7ADER, one second."

T(eHHHH)wenty minutes later, during which there was a cat-fight with the kids heard on the other side to not to hang up the phone..

So and So takes the phone:

- "Aluuuuuu."

_ "Hello, this is F..."

- "Aluuu, aluuu, aluuu, aluuu, AaaaaaalUUU!!"

- *Tears*

!!

7 comments:

BoB said...

Right on again !

chikitita said...

I'm not so into stereotypes, but reading your blog only corroborates the one that says Egyptians have acebric sense of humour.

Raouf said...

Good call (no pun intended)
Another topic which can go endlessly.

Another one is when you call someone whom you have not talked to in a while and they start by saying "enta fein, why didn't you call me before?"
Last time I checked, the phone is a two way communicator, anyone can be called or THEY CAN MAKE THE CALL THEMSELVES damn it!!!

Another one is those people who love to talk on the phone and while you visit them, they get interrupted ten times and spend long time chit-chating with someone else and leave you there, even worse they start talking sometimes about confidential things. Aaaargh.

Another one is those people who have very loud and very inappropriate ring tones such as movie trailers. It is like getting assaulted by commercials while trying to have a decent conversation.

We can go on and on and on....

Drama Queen said...

well not to stereotype or nytthin bs this usually happens whn thy have an egypttian maid!

أُمنية said...

SALAM. I went through ur blog and I really like every word in it. Some post do apply on all arabs societies not only on the Egyptians one. i have been working in Kuwait for three years now, and I'm telling u that every thing u have mentioned in "the whore" post is so true. Egyptians do think that they are a superior race. They refuse to understand any accent but Egyptian. I was once told why not to speak Egyptian rather than Syrian, Women think that the Egyptian men are the best creatures and I was surprised to hear two Egyptians saying that he hits coz he is "ragel", if he doesn't hit he is not "ragel". Egyptians series are the best to be watched and they do not understand what arabs can see in the Syrian ones. Egypt is "om aldonya" and the rest of the arabs are her servants.
There is a Syrian girl in my office who is married to a se3idi guy, he is literally showing her the stars at noon. She some times swears at him . u have to see how other Egyptians women in the office respond to this!.
They believe that the Egyptians' food is the best, better than any thing might be cooked on this planet. It might be rude of me to say but I really hate the Egyptian food style. It's disgusting and smells the same. Excuse me. I think the Egyptians I work with back in Kuwait have made a racist of me.
i'm not saying that the syrian socity is any better. but i do really belive that the Egyptian society is a so "closed" one.
Best regards

khalid jarrar said...

hey, a firend asked me to ask you to please enable commenitng using open ID.

Ghawayesh said...

OK I'll do that

Look Who's Here :D