An Egyptian living in Europe but her heart stayed back home. Having some random thoughts about the before and after pictures. Ghawayesh means bracelets. In my context it symbolizes the cuffs of my culture. I don't know if I like them or hate them. Thanks for passing by.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in 2006 as a joke. Now that I look back, I have decided to take it seriously!

10 June 2011

When He Gracefully Arrived لما بدا يتثنى

This is from an Andalusian poem; the genre of which is called “Mu.wa.sh.ah”
موشّح
Funny how those songs are sung addressing the masculine form, while the poet actually meant to address a woman!! It's like they'd rather sound homo than to speak to a woman aaahahaha! Anyway, here we go:

Lena Chamamyan is gorgeously singing it here:


Gracefully he arrived,
Full of beauty and glory,
So mesmerizing is my beloved,

He imprisoned me in a garden beyond mountains by the way he looks at me,
He seemed like a tree branch that leans towards its roots after hearing love songs and achieving richness.

I am dazzled and confused,
I have no one to ask for, to save me out of my lovelornness but you,
You .. The king of beauty.

لما بدا يتثـنى *** حبي جمـاله فتنــا

لما بلحظه أسرنا *** غصن ثنى حين مال

وعدي ويا حيرتى *** من لي رحيم شكوتي

في الحب من لوعتي *** إلا مليـك الجمــال

3 comments:

d. said...

Is it not more like that the poet impersonated a woman?

Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem.

Ghawayesh said...

^ Hi! No, the overwhelming majority of Arabic literature about love is written addressing the masculine form out of "shyness to address a woman". Weird culture, isn't it? One exception is that of Qays who loved Layla and mentioned her name in hist poems, for which he was banned from being able to marry her. He caught insanity!!

d. said...

It is indeed "weird culture" ;-) and poor Qays too!

Blog Archive

Look Who's Here :D