An Egyptian living in Europe but her heart stayed back home. Having some random thoughts about the before and after pictures. Ghawayesh means bracelets. In my context it symbolizes the cuffs of my culture. I don't know if I like them or hate them. Thanks for passing by.

About Me

My photo
I started this blog in 2006 as a joke. Now that I look back, I have decided to take it seriously!

04 June 2012

Kettlebells!

Yup, that's my new addiction. I can't believe I had one for 2 years and only started enjoying its incredible effect only  a couple of months ago!

I remember back in the days when I was a rowing freak, I easily, easily, had those gorgeous, well-defined six packs! Fast forward a decade, I'm a busy mom bla bla bla.

So the other day I suddenly noticed my dusty never-used kettlebell. Hey little chubby cute you, what are you doing there alone in the corner? Come to mama, let's kick some ass of an imaginary asshole with your help baby. (note: I won all the rowing races in which I used to imagine myself kicking the ass of the wife of my first love :)))

So I start, and I like, and I feel, and I wake up the next couple of days aching all over like I'd been hit by a train. There were muscles soaring in places I didn't even realize that muscles exist. 

VOT? Zis sing works zo well? Vhy did I not know zat from long ago already?

And to my ultimate stupidity, I spotted other cool ones in Dubai's Carrefour!! But back then I didn't realize how genius that thing is.

So I go hunt for more all over Zurich. Nada. Even the sales people at  the sport shops didn't even know what I was talking about, and even when I  show them photos- nope! Well, the least to say here is that this sucks a Chuchichäschtli's ass.

Though they seem new in the fitness world, Kettlebells are ancient Russian training equipment. Competitive kettlebell lifting has a long history in Russia.

What I love about it, is that you can train only for a couple of minutes and feel like you've been doing gym work for an hour! It's fascinating- and feels really different from dumbbells!

One day I might post a photo of my regained six-pack abs. Fingers crossed, or better, Kettlebells swayed! 


From Wiki:

By their nature, typical kettlebell exercises build strength and endurance, particularly in the lower back, legs, and shoulders, and increase grip strength. The basic movements, such as the swing, snatch, and the clean and jerk, engage the entire body at once, and in a way that mimics real world activities such as shoveling or farm work.
Unlike the exercises with dumbbells or barbells, kettlebell exercises often involve large numbers of repetitions. Kettlebell exercises are in their nature holistic; therefore they work several muscles simultaneously and may be repeated continuously for several minutes or with short breaks. This combination makes the exercise partially aerobic and more similar to High-intensity interval training rather than to traditional weight lifting. In one study, kettlebell enthusiasts performing a 20 minute snatch workout were measured to burn, on average, 13.6 calories/minute aerobically and 6.6 calories/minute anaerobically during the entire workout - "equivalent to running a 6-minute mile pace".

No comments:

Blog Archive

Look Who's Here :D